View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #19
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
Perhaps you should clarify the different types of sway control out there....there's a lot of confusion over how they work and what is needed (if anything) for the TM's (tall or short)

I understand having used both, but really the ONLY difference between the Reese and Equilizer I had is the omission of the chains and using a solid "link" . The Equilizer is a much better WDH system in use and feel than using the chains. Setup is more precise. The "sway" control it provides is really a by product (if you will) of a superior WDH setup.

The Elk doesn't need "sway" control either if you were the only one on the road, it's the movement caused by large trucks passing you that causes the problems, and I stand by my original statement, I wish I had purchased the the Equilizer to begin with for the 2619.
I am not qualified to identify the different types of sway control out there, because I have never used them. I was just passing on what the factory told me. However, it seems to me that with a very short wheelbase TV then sway control might be of some value.

I have observed a towing situation where a TT should have had sway control, even though there were no other vehicles around. I watched a Jeep CJ5, towing a Lil Loafer TT and at 55 mph the driver was obliged to lock up the brakes to stop in time to not hit a heard of cows. Some sway occurred. Under normal stopping conditions I had never observed sway.

This same Jeep and trailer performed well when an emergency stop became necessary after being hit by a bale of hay that fell off of a truck going the other direction. So, apparently, hard braking only sometimes would be improved with sway control.

I will repeat what the factory told me. This was before the Elkmont became available.

1.TMs never need sway control, due to their design.
2. With my large truck (Chevy 1500HD) I would not need a WD hitch. A WD hitch is only necessary when using a small tow vehicle. (They did not define small).