View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Crazy Campers -

The thread you reference is nearly 10 years old, so take it with a grain of salt. A few points.

You are at the mercy of terminology as suggested above. A "weight distributing hitch" has "spring bars". The rear tip of each spring bar hangs from a "spring bar bracket" that is attached to the trailer A-frame. The spring bar bracket must be located directly above the tip of the spring bar. Your question is whether this location is available, or whether it is occupied by the hinge of the swing hitch. You can see some pictures that may (or may not) help at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8371
In the first photo, you can see the springbar hangers, behind the break in the swing tongue. If the springbars are too short, the hangers would need to be located forward of this location, which as you can see is not possible. So the issue becomes thelength of the springbars, since they set the lcoation of the springbar lift brackets.

None of this has anything to do with "sway" or "sway bars". TMs do not need "sway control", as noted above. As an added confusion factor, though, some spring bars (called "trunnion") have a sway control option - which you do not need. No problem with buying a trunnion WDH (I have one), but no need to pay extra for the sway control accessory. For more on sway, see the sway control tutorial in the TM Technical Library at
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=2923

I have never heard of an issue between the horizontal propane tanks and any hitch, so I think that is not something to get excited about.

Your options if the Equal-i-zer doesn't work? Consider a different WDH, one with chains on the end, from Reese, Draw-Tite, Hidden Hitch, Curt, or any of several other manufacturers. And save yourself some money.

And don't bother with any "friction sway control" device.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote