View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
SirDrake

Thanks for the reply Bill.
Quote:
Let me be sure I understand. In the past, with this TM and this tow vehicle, you have been able to travel with the TM refrig running, and at the same time a separate thermo-electric cooler running? That is an impressive electrical load - most rigs won't handle it.
That is correct. The first couple years we just used the TM fridge while traveling - no issues. Then we added the small electric cooler.
Most of our trips have been between 4-6 hours long.
Always arrive at campsite and able to use electric tongue jack and fridge is reasonably cold.
We also start the fridge and cooler a day or so in advance and load them with items to get a head start.
Quote:
First step. With everything hooked up as it should be, tow vehicle running, use you meter to measure the voltage between the converter's 12-volt in (from the tow vehicle) terminal, and the converter's 12-volt out (to the TM battery) terminal. There should be no voltage there, but it sounds like you will find almost 12 volts there, indicating an open or almost open circuit within the converter.
I think I understand what you mean here.
I disconnected the positive and negative wires from the converter board.
I twisted them together with wire nuts (positive on one nut, neg on the other).
I connected the truck to the TM and started it. I am reading 14 volts at the wire nuts I just made.
Also reading 14 volts at the battery end (disconnected from TM battery).
If I connect the positive leads and negative leads back to the converter board and put the volt meter on the connection block, I get 1.5 volts.
So it looks like there is something drawing down the voltage through the converter. How do I proceed from here?
I am not an expert with electrical systems by any means - I know enough to get by (or get in trouble, he he).
What do you think?
TrailManor: 2004 2720SL | Kenwood Stereo/Polk Speakers/Sharp 22" LCD/Winegard Wingman/AC/Fiamma Awning/Electric Tongue Jack/Over Sink Cabinet/Shower Mod/Optima D34M Marine Battery
SirDrake is offline   Reply With Quote