Thread: Towing Safety
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #3
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandysplace View Post
When changing lanes we give lots of time with the turn signal and are surprised that most drivers give us room to pull over.
That surprises me too, as you also live in close by to us in CA. We've experienced quite the opposite, unfortunately. I hate driving through LA, it's the absolute worst. I have no problems driving around LA with my little car, but towing a trailer is another thing entirely. The last time we went through there we had to make a left exit to get onto another freeway (quite unexpectedly, no advance signage or warning) and we almost didn't make the turn because nobody would let us in. The next time we have to go through there I'm going to print out an internet map with detailed directions.

I drive home from work on Highway 1 coming north into Santa Cruz from Castroville/Monterey (a two lane highway). When the highway turns into 4 lanes, there are always big trucks trying to get into the slow lane that starts there, and although the truckers put their signals on, trying to get into the slow lane, there are always people who don't want to slow down for 5 seconds to let them get into the lane but insist on going around on the right. And then once one person does it, there are usually 3 or 4 more who follow right behind them. I think that most people don't have a clue as to what's involved with towing a trailer or driving a big rig in heavy traffic.