Thread: AC or no AC?
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
grakin

I wouldn't ever consider a camper without A/C. That said, I camp pretty much anywhere, and often do so in summer in places with high humidity. Even if I only used it once or twice during the time I owned the TM, I'd still consider it worth it - I can't sleep in hot, humid air.

Think about how long you'll keep it. If you'll keep it for a long time, are you *SURE* you'll never go anywhere hot in 5, 6, or 10 years? It's not an easy retrofit on these campers (you need to swap out the torsion bars on the front shell, at a minimum, not to mention you need to create the hole, wire it, etc). Basically, anything roof-mounted (solar panels, awning, TV antennas, A/C) is something you'll want to buy with the TM when it's new, unless you are sure you don't want the thing. Any change of weight on the top shells requires changing pretty important parts of the camper out (the torsion bars, which is NOT a job that most of us would want to do in the backyard).

As for awning, TV antenna, etc, I'd do what you want for those. If you think you might want them, I'd get them. But I wouldn't do it for resale value - they won't add enough value to the unit once the unit is used to cover the purchase price. Certainly your TM will sell for more and quicker with the accessories, but you will not get what you pay for them out of it. New campers (even TMs, which are better than most) are a really bad investment - you absolutely lose money on them - so don't buy them for investment purposes. Buy what you want, not what some future owner might want.