View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #14
Chris
Site Team

Great ideas! I'm not adverse to coding changes, and we could do this, but at this point, we're going to try some more simple changes first.

This site will not go down. We're pretty scrappy when we need to be, and now we need to be. I appreciate your patience as we continue after the spammers.

Thanks
Ct..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
Please excuse this suggestion if it is really dumb, but would it be possible, in addition to what is already being set up with code to get rid of spam, to do the following:

1. Add to the "Post Quick Reply" a "Smilies" for "S-P-A-M".
2. Add an internal procedure that counts, as such "Smilies" are responded in each unique "Quick Reply" to a suspect posting (unique meaning from different sponsors).
3. Add an internal procedure that AUTOMATICALLY blocks that poster after a count of 3 unique poster's "spam smiles", until Bill receives an eMail from the blocked poster to explain the intent of the "spammed" post and determines whether to re-establish the banned poster.
4. Add a publicly available current list of blocked posters.

The advantage of such a system is that it puts the work load out on all sponsors who routinely read the site, and that appears to be a bunch, and automates the "spam" response to where Bill only has to evaluate and act on the few "explanations" that are received.

Just trying to be helpful, and feel free to discard without response if you wish. I too have come to treasure this site and would hate to lose it.

www.trailmanorowners.com
www.granddesignowners.com
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote