Thread: Tow Vehicle
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 PM   #7
Brutus

RVHopeful,
here's my 2 cents worth from the school of hard knocks. As long as you have a non-CVT tranny near sea-level, you might be ok. I had a Nissan Murano (CVT) rated at 3500 lbs, so I bought a 2005 model 2720. Dry weight well below 3500 so I'm good-to-go right? It no workie out so good. Took the camper 20 miles away to a nearby campground (at the same elevation BTW) to do a camper checkout and smelled that "burnt tranny smell" from the Murano after we had stopped. After changing my soiled underwear, I headed for various dealers to find the cheapest (new) thing I could find that would safely tow the camper. (Hint: that ruled out SUVs.) Ended up with a Nissan Frontier V6 (they gave me the best trade-in value on the Murano) and never looked back! 6100# tow rating in crew cab and 4WD trim.

After my experience, my advice is to find a 3500 pound something and tow it. Rent it, borrow it, tow it off the dealer's lot, whatever it takes. You will THEN have your answer my friend. Like the veterans here have said, forget dry weight. Add at least another 1000 pounds to be (relatively) safe. Good luck! r/Pat