Thread: Tow Vehicle
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

My 2720SL is about 2,800 lbs dry, roughly the same as the Elkmont IIRC. Loaded with factory options like AC, awning, etc. that are NOT included in the dry weight, plus water, food, clothes, camp chairs, etc., our TM weighs about 4,100 lbs. That is obviously more than the Flex's tow rating. And generally, I don't want my trailer to exceed more than 75% of the tow rating. But there are other factors as well, like Gross Combined Vehicle Weight, which is the combined weight of the tow vehicle and trailer. The more you pack in the Edge, the less you can tow. That 3500 lb rating is probably for an empty tow vehicle, and only 1 occupant -- the driver.

Bottom line: I wouldn't tow ANY TM with an Edge ANYWHERE, with the possible exception of the TrailMini. You could quite possibly tow that with an adequate safety margin.

You don't mention where you live. You'll need a more capable tow vehicle if you are towing in mountains vs. the prairie states, for example.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote