View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al-n-Sue View Post
Actually, there are several pretty significant differences - in design and construction. Sometime around 2003 TM started using aluminum for the shell structure instead of wood. The 98 model may be ok, but it is certainly more likely to have rotting issues if there is ever a leak. Also about 2004, they changed the rear bumper design and made the electrical cord accessible with the trailer closed. A major improvement IMHO - one I wish I had on my 2003! I believe the A/C was in the side in 98 and should be mounted on top in 05 - another significant improvement. There are lots of other minor tweaks made to the design along the way. I'd say if you have the money, the newer one will give you much longer trouble free service.

Just my .02.

Good luck. Whichever one you get, you will find much help here for your questoins. the $12/yr sponsor fee is well worth it.

Alan
I agree with Alan......

We have a '98 but would love to have a 2005 and a slide model as well. There is just the 2 of us and the forward bunk gets used for grandchildren ~occasionally but mostly is just a "Catch-all".

I've heard of very few issues with wood rot in the earlier TMs but the aluminum frame is a definite upgrade. The side AC isn't as efficient as the roof AC but our 10,000BTU side AC runs easily off of our Honda 2000 generator where the roof AC does not.

Bottom line is, if the '98 is a smokin' deal......it may be worth it. However, you may be replacing it a lot sooner than if you went with the 2005. We went with the earlier model because.... 1.we got a great deal. 2.We weren't sure if the TM was going to be right for us.

Now, we know that the TM is what we want but are keeping our eye out for a 2005 or newer 2720SL. Don't get me wrong........if our '98 was an SL we wouldn't even consider selling it. We love our TM...