View Single Post
Old 02-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It's pretty hard to identify wood rot in these trailers because of the sandwich construction. The best that you could do is to remove some screws around the window frames etc and see if you have clean wood in there or black rotted wood. However, if I were a seller, I wouldn't be real excited about some guy taking a screw driver to my trailer unless there was a good reason to be suspicious of a particular area.

Wood-rot occurs from leaky seems, window frames etc. Leaks will usually leave stains on the inside of the trailer. Look around for signs of stains on the ceilings and around windows if you are concerned.

I bought out '98 TM from a guy in Richmond, Washington (1100 miles from home). The TM was stored outside and it shows it. We've owned our '98 TM for over 2 years and have no issues with wood-rot (which means nothing for your case). I have heard very little complaints of wood-rot in the TMs. However, if you go to most PU camper forums, you will find horror stories of wood rotted ceilings and floors. I just haven't seen that here.

Check the floors for "soft spots" and the ceilings for stains. That's about all you can do.

I'll be opening my trailer this afternoon to finish some wiring work. I'm almost positive that there is a tag on the left side front of the trailer with a manufacturer date on it. I'll let you know.