View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
joe&Nance

Default Out of State Private Purchase...

Ok, so I tried searching the threads for this and only saw resposes that "rv dealer" will do all paperwork, however, am doing this private. Did I miss anything.

I found a TM in TX that appears to be a good deal and put down a deposit. I asked him all the ?'s I found on the forum --seller appears 2 answer all ?'s honestly and has told me the defects and what he is fixing b4 I arrive. I have gotten VIN and call the TX DMV and verified that he has clear title on it, nothing about accidents with it. I have insurance set up, purchased the WDH, chemicals 4 potty, and TP. TV is ready and just got oil change and 3,000 mile checkup. Yes, took 1 very long trip camping trip to SO CAL and racked up the miles so could tow my PUP and then added another 2k on the vacation with PUP --all in the first few months of having it--fortunately, so now it is broken in and able to tow this. Funny, I averaged under 7k with my old truck over the 15 years I owned it -- we use it mainly for vacation and small trips around town-- and now will have that in under 3months on this one!

1) HOWEVER, they have 2 take the license plates and am concerned. I went 2 CA DMV and they said that until I have proof of purchase that I don't do any paperwork. Do I have to do anything about the other states I am passing thru... Maybe I am overthinking this.

2) hope 2 use TM instead of Motels as I want 2 get off for quick stop (normally I wouldn't consider this, but the timeframe that he has is extremely limited and need 2 get him home quickly), I know that CA rest stops allow up 2 8 hrs-- couldn't find info on AZ or NM !

Any ideas? I thought I had a few weeks but everything changed when seller was told he might have cancer and can't meet us as will have operation next week so now I have to go to TX--son's friend is willing 2 go with me to but don't want anything 2 go wrong as we have limited time to get back (he's leaving his wife and 2 little children to help me.)
Nance