View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
randmfam

Unhappy Want to Buy, Don't Understand Processes

Apologies in advance for the long posting ... We're considering an early 2009 2619 (apparently there are early and late 2009 models). We are not avid campers. I used to be many years ago ... we had canvas tents, backpack tents and a tent pop-up growing up. But my husband is a "city-slicker" and has joined in my tent camping activities in adulthood begrudgingly. He enjoys camping when we go, but can only take it for a max of 2 nights without a shower and MUST have access to a flushing toilet. Now with a young child, tent camping is out for my husband (too much stuff to lug). Thus I started our look for TTs as I want to give my child the great camping experiences I had growing up. We've decided TM is our best option for TT for a variety of reasons, which I won't go into.

With all that said as background, my husband's concern is "how much work is this going to be". I want him to feel comfortable with the process and not overwhelmed or we won't go anywhere. The sales person has been very helpful, but of course makes everything sound so easy. So want to be sure we have an accurate representation of what needs to happen when. Following, if I recall from past experiences with a pop-up and the dealership info, is what I "think" is involved:
1) Prior to leaving for a trip -- Plug in TM for 24 hours in driveway to get refridge cold, unfold to add the water and load up, put water/chemicals in toilet, fold back up, attach to car and go.
2) Setup -- Park, detatch car, unfold everything (I think I've got a handle on that part), connect electricity/water/sewer if in campground OR turn fridge to propane use, open awning, and have fun.
3) Take down -- Unconnect electricity/water/sewer or turn fridge back to battery, expell unused white water tank, fold down, connect back up to car, haul to dump station, dump gray water and toilet, go home.
4) Winterize -- Sales person said to just dump everything and put 1 cup of antifreeze in all drains including toilet. Is this right?

QUESTION: Does the water tank and toilet need to be expelled after EVERY trip? Meaning can the unused water and toilet (if under 60 flushes) stay as is between camp outings? I thought you just kept the toilet chemicals until the 60 flushes then dump, but sounds like even if we only use the toilet a few times a trip, it needs to be dumped. Any thoughts?

Anyway, any input on whether I'm even "close" on this would be helpful. Or point me to somewhere that details this info would be good.

Thanks so much for any thoughts in advance!

Happy camping!