View Single Post
Old 05-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #15
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthepink View Post
I really appreciate hearing all of this. Now I have anothere question. Mayb I should post a new thread, but I will try here first.

I just learned about the toilet. Honestly, it sounds kinda.... I'll say "yucky" for lack of a better word but maybe I am just ill-informed. It flushes with waste water? Can you please expand on this? I mean, it sounds gross, but I am assuming that it must not be as bad as it sounds or else everyone wouldn't love TM so much. Is the water that it flushes with brownish? Does it smell bad? Is it hard to dump the toilet? It is at cassette type toilet or do you hook something up to something else to dump it?

Thank you,
Rae-Ann
Rae-Ann, you will here 2 sides to the Thetford toilet......those that love it, and those that hate.....and maybe some in between. I like ours, and it is a good fit for TM and especially boon-docking as it doesn't use any water other than the initial charge.

The toilet does flush with strained waste water.....and that sounds lucky if you think about it to much. There is a screen similar to a washing machine basket in the bottom of the toilet. Human waste goes into the middle of this basket, and the flush water is pumped from the outside of this basket.....thus solids remain in the middle and not the flush water.

You do an initial charge of ~3 gal. of water, then you don't add anymore....the charge can be done at home before you leave to save your onboard water. You add a small bottle of deodorant, and I have as of yet smelled anything bad coming from the toilet....just the deodorant smell.

You dump the toilet similar to other RVs. You pull a handle on the outside of the TM, and then 1 on the bottom of the toilet. After dumping, you close the inside valve, close the outside valve, and dump the gray water tank which helps clean the lines.

Hope this helps, Chap