Thread: 2619 or 2720?
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

1) Our TM has 18,000+ miles on it (09/2003). So far 1 blowout, 1 broken latch (<$10.00 to replace). Other than that, everything else has been self induced punishment. For instance dead battery after a year or so because I was clueless about battery care. The appliances are the same as you will find in any other RV, Coleman A/C, Norcold fridge, etc.

2) As previously stated <=50% value after 10 years is pretty darn good. The value of TM is in the walls (they won't wrot away), lift mechanism (guaranteed for life), what else is there? Really, it's a well build solid product. Maybe an Airstream or Bigfoot might hold it's value better, although I doubt it. I believe trailers suffer the most damage when they are moving and not when they are parked. I've noticed that the bottom half of my trailer rarely needs washing. Only half of it is exposed when it's on the move.

3) Your truck is rated for 3500 Lbs towing and the trailers you are considering are all less than 3000 Lbs. Why the issue of tongue weight gets so little attention is beyond me. Your real concern is going to be tongue/hitch weight. I suspect your truck is rated for 350 Lbs tongue weight. A 2619/2720 are right there, dry. Add "water" and you are over your truck's tongue capacity. All the other models you might consider are closer to 400 Lbs dry, well beyond what you can safely tow. Hilos are normally heavier and you get less living space from comparable towing length. Regardless of which way you go (TM/HiLo),and even if you live in a flat place like Florida and never plan to leave the state, the hitch weight is something that is always going to be an issue for you. As a former Tacoma owner I know how you feel (I loved my 4 cyl.Taco).

4) As previously stated. Water is NOT an issue. Only time I ever got wet while camping is when I rolled my kayak or too dumb to get out of the rain.

5/6)The lifting mechanism is guaranteed for life. I don't think open/closed storage makes a difference. Might be a good question to chat with Ed Lytle about. I'm betting that guarantee is transfereable, othewise the used TM market would look like a minefield.

7) 2619/2720? Buy all the house you can get.

8) On the MPG thing, since wind/weather conditions, terrain and TVs vary infinitely, it's just about impossible to peg a percentage to the benefit of a TM/Hilo. What I do know is that when I was a kid coasting my bicycle down a big hill, I never got any bugs in my eyes as long as I kept my head down.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote