View Single Post
Old 01-31-2008, 01:59 PM   #41
mtnguy

Linda,

Congradulations on putting the deposit down on a new TM......I betcha have no regrets when you get your unit!!!

Even though I am a TM owner that switched to the 15" tires, there are many owners out there that never had a problem with their 14" tires. For me, I was running 4 yr. old Marathons with no problem, but I knew it was time to replace them. I had already installed the lift kit (for better ground clearance in the boonies), so I thought if I had to buy new tires, why not wheels also.

As you have probably read, if you keep fairly new tires (less than 4 yrs. or so), keep the pressure up, be careful around curbs at sharp turns (so you don't damage the sidewall), cover them from the sun when not in use, keep speeds under 65 mph, and keep the weight on the TM axle manageable, you probably won't have a problem. But yet, you still can even with all of these precautions.....even with the 15" tires, but maybe less likely since the weight rating is higher.

As a further precaution, I (and several forum members) use a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) that gives me further peace on mind. I have also installed mudflaps so that a blowout shouldn't damage my plumbing.

And even if you do decide to go with the 15" tires later, your TM might already have the lift kit, or the Dexter 45 degree axle, which should give you enough room without any further alterations.

So Enjoy, and Happy Camping.

Chap