Thread: TM and Wind
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 07:32 PM   #19
grakin

Okay, I tore down camp today in very strong wind - and I was parked backwards from the way I normally would park if I know there will be strong wind (it was calm when I parked!) - that is, I was parked facing away from the wind.

Of course getting out was the first reminder it was windy (besides for the shaking and the howling!), and the door just about was ripped out of my hand by the wind.

The next reminder was tearing down. The wind blowing from the back of the TM towards the front made the front shell very difficult to close. I never thought of that before. Fortunately I was able to get the shell closed (would have been easier with a second person) fine, but it was definitely more difficult.

It was a quite strong wind storm, even by Wyoming standards.

But through it all, I never worried about the stability of the TM. Even pulling it through the wind (a crosswind) was relatively easy - I only got nervous when passed by semi-tractors who had substantial leans because of the wind. Watched a fifth wheel towing a small utility trailer that was fishtailing all over the road (fortunately he swayed slightly less as he passed me - I guess 65 MPH in 60+ MPH side gusts just isn't fast enough!). Hope he made it home.