View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 06:20 AM   #6
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryjones1
Thanks Bill S & Rocky Mtn Ray,

My primary concern is insuring that I can park the trailer in the garage. I want the trailer to be as short as possible.

I need every bit of the 2 feet or so that the swing-around tongue gives you.

Will I still be able to utilize all of the length shortning that the swing-around tongue gives you if I have a power tongue jack installed?
Short answer is "Yes".

The long answer is as YWORRYDOG states above, the electric jack has absolutely no effect on the length shortening aspect of the swing tongue...my garage is 19.5 feet long and the swing tongue allows me to park my 2720SL in the garage with 4 inches clearance in the back and about 12 inches clearance in in the front. It does exactly what the factory says it does...shortens the trailer's parked length by roughly 2 feet.

The "swinging" issues with an electric jack on the swing tongue are instead those mentioned above...electric jacks are shipped with footpads instead of dolly wheels (though a dolly wheel can be fitted by an owner as bill s did)...and there can be grounding problems that you (or an installer) must address with a separate grounding wire between the two parts of the tongue.

There is one other issue with an electric jack on TMs with front slides (2720SL and 272SD, 3124KS, and 3326)...namely the jack head/motor in its default position may prevent the slide from being fully extended. As shipped, the jack head on my Barker HiPower jack was positioned behind the center of the jack column when the jack was installed. In order to fully extend the front slide on my 2720SL, I had to rotate the jack head 90 degrees around the column (it's designed to do this on Barker models).

Another consideration with electric jacks...the hole in the tongue on TMs is designed for 2 inch diameter jacks. Many...but not all...of the heavy duty electric jacks have 2.5 inch jack columns. Although the hole can be enlarged to 2.5 inches, it's much easier to simply buy a jack with a 2 inch diameter column in the first place. And I definitely recommend getting a heavy duty (2500 lb or greater) electric jack. Although the light duty (typically 1500 lb) models will lift the tongue by itself, the heavier duty models can be used to lift the tongue a few inches with tow vehicle attached which greatly aids attachment of the WDH spring bars.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote