Thread: New to us 2720
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #1
pmhellings
Site Sponsor

Default New to us 2720

My girlfriend and I stumbled upon a 2010 TM 2720 for sale. Saw the camper, saw the For Sale sign and drove right past....until I realized that it folded down. We formerly owned a Teardrop camper, then moved up to a Chalet ( hard sided triangular folding camper ). We hadn't been looking for a larger camper but occasionally talked about "maybe looking around someday".

When I said "That camper folds down" she responded by braking and putting the car in reverse. We pulled over and called the phone number on the sign. A few minutes later we were inside, looking it over. The asking price was $8,000 which seemed cheap to me. I tole the owner that I would go home and do some research. Came back the next day after realizing what a bargain it seemed to be. We tested what systems we could on a very long and lightweight cord. There was no water in the tank and no propane in the tanks. I expressed my disappointment that it wasn't really ready to check out and he responded that he was an honest man and that if we bought it today he would drop the price to $7500. We gave him a deposit.

Now, this was an area that had been flooded during Hurricane Matthew, but we had spoken to his neighbors ( my girlfriends daughter ) and confirmed that the water was never up to the floor of the TM, and that after the storm, the owner spent a lot of time cleaning and washing off the flood water.

So, I've had the TM about a week now and have only discovered two problems. The converter is blown so it won't charge the battery and the sink faucet has a crack. I've already replaced the faucet and the new converter main board will arrive in a few days ( $114 from Amazon) All propane systems work, water pump and plumbing are fine and fridge is icy cold.

I'm installing the 2" receiver in the rear bumper tomorrow so that we can carry bikes and will be replacing the new, but cheap, tires with some quality ones. While the wheels are off, I'll have a look at the brakes and service the wheel bearings.

We are really excited to have this upgrade come into our lives and are happily making lists of mods and upgrades. Solar and LED are in the near future.

Happy to have joined the TM CLUB.

Paul M. Hellings
Green Cove Springs, Fl
pmhellings is offline   Reply With Quote