View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

There are plenty of tent and tent-like solutions out there, depending on your specific interests and needs. Add-a-room type construction uses the awning as a roof, and gives you 3 walls and a skirt (using the trailer as the 4th wall). These have the upside of being "integrated" with the camper. The downside(s) are 1) less flexibility in placement (must be attached to trailer, so campsite must be amenable to that placement) and 2) much more expensive than a standalone tent (odd considering the reduction in materials and structural needs, but it's a supply/demand issue). Plus, with a Hi-Lo, you've got the consideration of the wall not being flat -- like on a TrailManor -- so the room needs to be custom fitted for the camper. Which adds to the price.

I did once find a compromise solution, a pop-up standalone tent that was designed to be placed against the side of a camper, so it eliminated the custom requirement, and the cost was less as well. Still had the placement issue, but it was not quite as stringent as an add-a-room. Unfortunately they don't make them anymore.

Many of us opted for standalone tents of one kind or another. I have one that's quite large, 12x12, with screened sides, and roll-down walls for rain. There's an optional floor that snaps in as well, so it could be used as a large tent if needed, and each rain-wall can also be put up as an awning, if you want to block the sun from a particular direction. I can place it anywhere it'll fit on the campsite, and cover the picnic table (the main reason) and if it's amenable, I place it close enough to the awning on the TM so that I don't have to get wet to walk from one to the other.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote