View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #4
grakin

I use it, and it works fine for normal web browsing.

Things that use secure web pages (HTTPS) are very slow, so are things like VPN to access work stuff, due to the latency others mentioned.

It works almost anywhere you can get a good view of the sky (no trees in the way!). It's your ONLY option in places like Yellowstone.

The main downsides of the satellite:
1. The dish is fragile and bent easily. If it is bent, even very, very slightly, it won't work.
2. It takes a lot of room to transport the equipment if you are using a tripod option
3. It is kind of a pain to set up. I can do it in about 20 minutes, but I run a large computer network for a living and enjoy things like aiming antennas.

I also take a Verizon Blackberry with tethering option (works like an Air Card), which I feel is much simpler to use, setup, and generally gives me better performance. But when it doesn't work, I use the satellite.

If you camp in places with cell phone coverage, get cell phone internet - you'll find it much less effort and the equipment is cheaper. If you don't camp around cell phone coverage, your only option is satellite.