View Single Post
Old 09-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #27
flipflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
I passed, and was passed by, a 2720 (2011 or 2012, possibly, from the brown decals) being towed by a dark Toyota 4Runner today, about noon. We were on Hwy 285, SW of Denver, heading in the direction of Denver. In my opinion, a disaster waiting to happen.

Rear of 4Runner was sagging, and TM was running way downhill. Looks like the hitch should have been about 6" higher, for it to tow level. Would be real easy for rain to run in from the back of the front shell, in addition to putting lots more weight on the tongue than should be.

Did not see (I was driving, and paying more attention to traffic) if there was a WDH in use, or not. If so, it was nowhere near adjusted properly. If not, this is a setup that is in dire need of a WDH. Front tires were unweighted, so they would be questionable in sudden braking or avoidance maneuvering. Also, at night, headlights would blind oncoming traffic.

All this to say, look at your setup when you are ready to go. If trailer and TV are not level, then you need a WDH. If your TV is level, but your TM is not, you need to adjust the ball height. We can all offer opinions about what vehicle may, or may not, need a WDH. But, the eye test is the true deciding factor. If it ain't level, something needs adjusted! Be safe.
Yes, strive to get the tow vehicle level and the trailer also. Ball height is a big deal, it's a balancing act.