Thread: Awning Repair
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2004, 06:54 PM   #5
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default Re:Awning Repair

First thing the dealer told me during the demo (it wasn't really the dealer, it was Denny who works for the dealer) was NEVER leave the awning up unless you are sitting under it. He said most of the TM is "hell for stout" but the awning is a "delicate little flower."

I hesitate to repeat the language on our G-rated site, but remember being struck by his eloquence. Anyway, he said never at nignt, never while you are gone. And even if you are sitting under it, it's not a bad idea to attach some corner tie down straps to ground augers. He spoke at length about the potential havoc from the sudden afternoon wind gusts in the Rockies, and I can't disagree. I also think you're right about using vinyl patches vs. duct tape or other stop-gap solutions. But if you decide to use the duct-tape will you post a picture so we can have a chortle at your expense?

Something else I have learned to check is the caulking around the fairing at the ends (but especially the forward end) of the awning. These are plastic parts that harden and crack with age, as does the goop in the cracks. When that happens, rain, wash water or other moisture can penetrate the entire length of the awning and make a real mess of the bottom six-eight inches. Even if you haven't had the awning out, I recommend unrolling it a couple of feet to check it prior to storage.
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote