View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 09:23 AM   #30
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnugejnt11 View Post
I too have a Honda Ridgeline (2022) and we are looking into purchasing a 2720QS. I have been concerned about going over the mountain passes in Colorado. Any issues with pulling uphill, and more importantly braking when going downhill? What type/model brake controller do you have?
I bought a used Honda Ridgeline this January because of it's 4WD and 5000# towing capacity. The 1st thing that I do when buying a used vehicle is change all of the fluids and do a COMPLETE brake job. I replaced all 4-brake pads, calipers and rotors on the Ridgeline about 500 miles prior to this trip. I towed our 2720SL up the coast and back and was happy with the towing ability. Climbing hills was not an issue.

The next trip, I was coming down a grade (probably 4%) at about 50mph, near town and a traffic light at the bottom of the grade turned yellow. I was right in that sweet spot where I could have floored it and probably made it through but I decided to stop for the light, as I got closer to the intersection, it became clear that I needed to really get on the brakes and I could not stop it. The truck went right into the middle of the intersection. Thankfully, no one was entering the intersection but it was still pretty alarming.

My trailer has recently new brake assemblies also (around 500 miles on them). I always brake check and adjust the trailer brake controller before and during each trip. My first thought was that the electric trailer brakes must have quit working (it happens with electric brakes). As I left that intersection, I checked the adjustment on my brake controller and it was good. The trailer brakes were working fine.

The next week, I bought a Chevy Silverado 1500 and that solved the braking problem. The Ridgeline is now for sale. They are a great truck and the most comfortable I've ever driven. The 5000# tow rating is a bit of a stretch though. The Ridgeline is more like a passenger car feel. It just can't stop a heavy load in a panic stop.

I have been towing all sorts of trailers (including TrailManors) with all kinds of vehicles for over 50-years and hundreds of thousands of miles, so that little mishap was not a case of inexperience.