View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
My Tahoe has a tow/haul mode. It guzzles gas anyway, but the tow/haul mode keeps the revs up. It's supposed to get 13 mpg city to 19mpg highway.

What I like about the old technology Chevy's is that they're easy and cheap to fix. They're also not overly priced on the used market.

Ironically, both GM and Ford make much better V8's than V6's. It sounds as if Toyota is trying to make the most fuel efficient V8 by keeping revs low. My Grand Marquis was like that, and it got really annoying when going up hills. It would kick down to a lower gear, gain speed going up the hill, then once the speed got up it would kick back up again. Really annoying. But it has been extremely reliable.
I think our Tundra had a "tow/haul" mode. The Taco doesn't.

I'm not sure I would say that Toyota has made any kind of "fuel efficient V8". I think Ford and Chevy's latest models are getting better mpg. Toyota is kinda lagging behind on that. But I understand about the auto transmission being annoying in that way. But by far the most annoying of transmissions would have to be the CVT I'm driving right now (prius). The constant rev/roar when I'm accelerating up a hill or merging onto the freeway...good grief. My next car will be a stick, I swear. If they aren't extinct by then. Love my Prius--grateful to have it--but I hate the CVT.

ETA: Listen to me complaining about my CVT. #firstworldproblems I'm really grateful I have good reliable transportation that doesn't cost an arm and a leg to own. And I'm planning on my daughters getting at least another 50K miles out of that Matrix.

ETA again: We are currently an all Toyota family. Hubby drives the Tacoma. Me--a Prius. Twins are sharing a 2013 Camry. The middle child is driving the Matrix that was handed down to her from the twins. (Hand me downs are the story of her life, lol.) The 11 yr old--we've got a little time to think about that, but at least the twins will be off my insurance by the time we have to buy her something!