View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
TexasCamper

Default Towing with CVT Transmission

Does anyone have experience with towing with a tow vehicle that has a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission)? I know fundamentally how CVT works, just don't know how consistent (while driving) and durable (long-term) it will be vs. more standard transmissions. I understand a number of vehicles are going to CVT to get under EPA fuel efficiency specs.

My wife wants us to get a Nissan Pathfinder (3.5L V6, 260hp@6400rpm, 240 lb-ft torque@4400rpm). I've seen some older posts that expressed concern with its newer models (2013 to current) that now have CVT, reducing its towing capacity from 6000 lbs to 5000 lbs. Older posts worry that the CVT might be too "dainty" for towing.

So I was wondering if there are any newer experiences or opinions from the forum's vehicle experts (more in the "know" than me!). My main intent is to learn how towing with CVT holds up, but I'll take your thoughts on the proposed TV as well. (I know it's not much of a step-up from my current minivan with 3600 lb tow capacity.)

Thanks!
TV#1: 2008 Chrysler Town & Country (3.8L Touring w/ tow package, WDH) (*retired 2018*)
TV#2: 2015 Nissan Pathfinder (w/ tow package, WDH)
TV#3: 2018 Ford F150 (w/ tow package, WDH)
TexasCamper is offline   Reply With Quote