Thread: Powermover AC5
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2019, 07:28 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I set up the brakes on the TM then tried the Powermover again. The brakes weren't strong enough to hold. I'm thinking two things:
1) The drums have some surface rust from sitting in the winter so that it's being set up against an uneven rust surface. Even though there is power being put to the brakes, it may still roll with the brakes applied until it gets to a different portion of the drum. On a 12% grade leading to a public road, I'm not going to take the chance that it will stop.

2) I was using the battery from my truck with the engine off. It's possible that the brakes may need a full 13.5 V (charging voltage) to activate fully and provide enough current.

I believe scenario 1 is more likely.

My solution for today:
I set up the brakes about 3 more notches tighter than set up. At this point, the wheel could not be turned by hand, but the Powermover was able to move the trailer dragging the brakes. In fact, those 3 extra notches actually tightened the brakes enough I didn't need to power the brakes. I had to use the reverse mode to bring the trailer down the slope.

I liked this solution so much that I'm tempted to always tighten the brakes 2 notches up before using the Powermover on the slope. I may still need the power to the brakes to hold it on the slope, but I really liked the fact that it didn't roll by itself down the slope. It felt much safer. I still engaged the power brake for extra safety. It's not hard to jack up each side and tighten the brake, move the trailer, then set the brake up properly.

Anyway, I've got the TM open now and next weekend I'll probably do the torsion bars.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote