View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Default An alternate viewpoint

Chicagoslick,

Here is a quote from a post I put up a year ago or so. The point is that I just don't want to have to worry about what I take with me in the TV.

Quote:
I recently went through the new TV experience. In my case the main requirement from the DW was room for grandkids. Otherwise my good ol'e 96 F150 5.8 standard cab was perfectly adequate.

Now, I was once offered the chance to re-enlist in the USAF with a promise of Loadmaster School and flight status if I did. (I did not!) The loadmaster's job on a transport plane is to calculate loading to see if: a. it will get off the ground; b. that it is balanced if and when it does. They had to use a specially designed slide rule device to do this, back in the day.

When I read the discussions about loads and weights and limits with Pilots and Highlanders and such, I just do not want to go there. Sounds too much like living right at the limit. Plus I didn't go to Loadmaster School.

When I read discussions about Sienna's and that sort of vehicle, I mentally cringe at the thought of major components letting go on mountain roads.

I want wide safety margins. I want to hook and and go without worrying about losing the trailer...or worse. I want to throw stuff in the bed and not worry about it until I get there.

Sooo...I chose an F150 crew cab with factory tow pkg. In addition, it is getting its air bags installed today. It has a 9200 pound tow rating, and I figure that my 3023 won't weigh over 5000 if I load everything I could think of in it.

These modern crew cab p/u trucks are quiet, a dream to drive on the road, and powerful. On mine, the computer tells me that I am averaging 17.4 mpg even after a trip up to Big Bear Lake, (7200 ft above sea level), with 4 passengers and the bed filled with a church group's luggage, plus a couple of hundred miles of city driving. Not towing though.

Yes, its big, 5100 empty weight. But if safety, comfort, and worry free loading matter, its worth it. Most DW's like safety and comfort, especially if there are kids/grandkids involved. A test drive at a local dealer's might open new possibilities. Just a thought.

My .02
Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote