View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 10:48 AM   #4
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoslick View Post
I know it has been asked before, but all of the post I have checked seam a bit older and am wondering if people have recent news on towing a TM 2720 or larger with a minivan.

I have a 2000 Ford Windstar Limited with the towing package, class 3 WDH, onboard brake controller and lighting. The vehicle is also equiped with ABS and Traction Control. My van has 120k miles on it, but the transmission was completley rebuilt less than 5k miles ago. Engine is the 3.8L engine which is rated at 200hp and 240 torque. The motor runs great and does not use a drop of oil. I know the full history of the vehicle having been the only owner and the vehicle has been meticulousy maintained.

I live in the midwest and plan to take trips mainly out east (Georgia and South Carolina) with an occasional trip out west.

Anyone who has experience please respond. I appreciate all repsonses...

thanks
Vehicles seem to have been rated less carefully in 2000 than they are today. It's as if the manufacturers were careless and the owners paid less attention.

Start by reading the towing section in the owner's manual, particularly the part about Gross Combined Weight Rating versus the empty weight of the vehicle.

You need a hitch receiver as good as this one, and a weight distributing hitch: http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...cleid=20009942

The hp and torque will take you anywhere I've been on the Interstate highway system. I don't know anything about experience from Windstar owners here in the forum, but it's worth searching through the posts to check it out.

Check your brake controller. I wouldn't tow anything challenging with an old progressive controller (a Prodigy P3 could be a very important improvement).
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote