View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
ThePair
TrailManor Master

The minivan brand is critical, it seems. Toyotas do fine with a 2720, keeping it light. Honda seems to do fine as well. A 2000 Ford Windstar? I have no idea, I'd be a little nervous, personally--too many stories of Ford experiences with different TVs that seemed to indicate the TC was overstated by Ford, rather than conservative like the Japanese manufacturers seem to do.

Keep things as light as possible. Weigh the fully loaded rig. Make sure the WDH is adjusted properly. Drive slowly and carefully.

If you're going to do any mountain hauling at all (which it sounds like you might), I'd make sure you felt safe with your setup on the low/flats first.

I am quite comfortable and satisfied with my setup -- Toyota Sienna and 2720SL. I've also weighed my setup, with the kids, wife, and dog inside, and I know that numerically I'm right at the limit. I'm also staying in the midwest, low altitude, flat, short distance driving. I know I'm well within the capabilities of my TV because of many factors (low profile, no sway TM, favorable terrain, short distance driving, etc.) whereas the TC, etc, must take into account more factors, like a TT, like hilly or higher terrain, etc.

But, I have a Toyota, not a Ford, and I am not going to be going where you are. These are two big factors that need to be considered, and I don't have the experience with your vehicle to be able to give you any more advise that what I said above.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote