View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It should also be noted that manufacturers ratings are based on a brand new vehicle, with all new components with "zero" wear & tear.

In this respect, the OP should feel comfortable that those are serious numbers if he/she is buying a NEW vehicle.

All too often we have posters, that have a high mileage vehicle, that look at the manufacturer's ratings and think that those ratings apply to their vehicle. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

As a vehicle's components wear, this seriously degrades all of the vehicle's maximum capacity capabilities.

A vehicle with a GCWR of 10,000# when new, may only be capable of safely dealing with half that weight @ 100,000 miles. In some cases, that vehicle should not be towing at all.

Think about all of the individual components that go into the make-up of the vehicle's GCWR........ we are literally talking about thousands of components. Many of those components may be at or past half life. Remember, maximum weight ratings are all based on the "Weakest link" principle. The weakest link (in the case of a high mileage vehicle) may literally be a nut or bolt. It could be something as crazy as old anti-freeze (that could contribute to over-heating) or something as serious as a tired brake caliper assembly. For sure, that "weakest link" changes over time and mileage.

The point being..........ALL weight ratings are subject to deterioration over time and mileage.

Having said all that, I towed our TM2720 the a Chevy S10 ~the same weight & ratings as the Ford Ranger. The vehicle is a bit light for the TM IMHO..... when towing with a lighter TV, it's best to use a WDH. Even then, the 4000# TM is a lot of push on the TV. Trailer brakes are helpful but should not be relied upon to be working when they are needed most. That is why I moved up to a full sized PU.

Just knowing these facts can make towing with the Ford Ranger safer, with appropriate caution. I know that it did with my S10. I just got tired about worrying about it. In retrospect, I wish that I would have skipped towing with the S10 and went directly to the full size truck.