View Single Post
Old 03-13-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
SCBillandJane

We are also planning a trip to Alaska. I don't have enough experience to say anything about modifications, but this might help you plan which ones you need. First get a copy of the Milepost book. It starts at the US border and shows all the different routes mile by mile through Canada to Alaska. It will show distances between campgrounds, number of sites, and hook ups if any. It even tells where there are places to pull off the road to see views. There are maps included for planning purposes and advice on when to go. Pick the right times, or certain things will not be open. This book is recommended by almost everyone that has driven to Alaska. Secondly, you will be at so many places with so much to see that it is sometimes difficult to determine if the attraction is as advertised, or if you will be disappointed in the money and time you spent. I have found that IMHO that the AAA tour books match what I consider worthwhile places to visit at their "GEM" attractions. They also give a minimum time that you should spend at the attraction, its cost, phone numbers for reservations, hours of operation, etc. I hope this helps with your planning, and good luck with your trip.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote