View Single Post
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We bought ours long distance, too. My cousin actually found ours for us in Salem, OR. He gave me the dealer's phone number and we talked about price, condition, etc., and arrived at a price over the phone. My cousin and my aunt went to see it several times and told me that it was really clean. The dealer sent me pictures and they looked great, too. I sent the dealer a deposit and they held the TM for us until we could get there to bring it home, with the understanding that if we didn't like what we saw that they would refund the deposit. When we got there, we were so happy with our find! We picked it up over Labor Day in 2003, after communicating with the dealer for almost 2 months. They didn't tell us that they wanted a cashier's check (even though I asked ahead of time, luckily there was a bank nearby, and we drove up on a Thursday to pick it up on Friday) so we we were able to get one. We camped in it on the way home, stopped once in Grant's Pass, and the next night at Lake Siskiyou. We were able to get campsites, even though it was Labor Day weekend and we had no reservations! We had the hitch and the mirrors ready to go, I knew how to open and close the TM (thanks to Larry on this board, aka Civil War Buff, who showed us his before we decided to buy). Hal on this board also emailed me his brochure that has opening and closing instructions (thank you Hal!). When we got to the dealer, the TM was locked, and they had lost all the keys. Luckily, they had also forgotten to push in the pins for the front bed, so I just slid it in a bit and my son climbed in and opened the door. We knew more about it than the dealer did, thanks to this board and it's helpful members.

I hope you find a good TM just like we did! We have enjoyed ours a lot and can't wait to take it out this summer. We plan to keep it for many years.