View Single Post
Old 02-07-2006, 07:23 PM   #15
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Without a doubt: V8 Tundra, 2 inch, and WDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo
Thanks for all the help.
Is there a big difference between a v6 Tacoma crew cab and a v8 Tundra crew cab? I am trying to decide between a 2720 and the 31KB. Most towing will be in the East but our favorite park is Yellowstone.
Huge difference. Towing a 31KB at the elevations of Yellowstone (~8000 feet) with a V6 will be an exercise in total frustration. Even a 2720...and the load of a long trip...will make the V6 badly strain at higher elevations. The V8 has much higher torque...and the Tundra is a far more refined vehicle for long distances than the Tacoma. Several TMO members have tried, repeat tried, to tow TMs with V6 Tacomas in the western mountains at elevations over 5000 feet. After a few frustrating trips, they traded up to V8 Tundras.
Quote:
Would you order the 2 inch lift? I don't see it in the brochure.
Yes.
Quote:
If you already have a heavy duty hitch, can you add weight distribution to it? I have no idea how those things work.
You don't actually have a heavy duty hitch. You have a heavy duty hitch receiver...the part that a hitch slides into. The hitch is the part that hitch ball is bolted to. The actual hitch can be a simple drop down hitch bar (aka weight carrying) or a weight distributing hitch. Please study this webpage to understand the advantages of a WDH and to see pictures of the various WDH. Please note that a WDH is a system of bars, brackets, and lift chains that definitely can't be "added" to a normal weight carrying hitch.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote