Thread: New to Forum
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think you'll be pleased with the combo. Your Tundra has the same engine size and tow rating as my Explorer - the one difference being that I have the factory tow package which includes a 5-speed automatic and a 3.73 rear end. As others have said, a truck of this size is sufficient for travelling in the mountainous west, but doesn't have a whole lot of margin. Be prepared to take your time and to be passed by other vehicles at high altitudes - high Sierras, and the Colorado Rockies. The altitude is the killer, more than the grade.

I, too, keep my TM to less than half of the tow rating. By the way, this is harder to do than it would seem. The mfr's stated weight of a travel trailer (ANY travel trailer) does NOT reflect what the trailer will weigh once you have added all the factory options plus all your stuff, including food, water, propane, clothes, tools, etc. When you are ready for the road, you will probably be well over 3500 pounds. You might consider having the rig weighed, just to be sure.

As for comfort on an extended trip, my wife and I spent 30 days touring chunks of the west in our 2720SL with a small dog and a big cat. It was pretty good, but at the end of 30 days we were glad to get home. A 3023 should be better.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote