View Single Post
Old 05-29-2003, 04:23 PM   #2
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Re: Newbie Trip with 3023 to Kings Island in Ohio

Quote:
---------snip-------
On the way home I had the TM3023 weighed on a CAT certified truck scale.  I was surprised to get the weight receipt that said 3600#.  We did not feel we had overly loaded the TM in any way.  I think I recall reading that the 3023 should not weigh over 3500# with the TM hooked to the TV and only the TM wheels on the scale.  I am concerned that we may be overloading the TM.  Any recommendations or comments?
-----snip----------

Keith
I did considerable investigation of just this issue.

The question came down to: What is the max allowable weight, registered at the trailer tires, when the trailer is connected for normal towing?

The answer is either 3500 lbs. or  3700 lbs.

Here's a link to my follow-up post on a query much like yours. Check the last post in the thread:

http://tretta.hypermart.net/cgi-bin/...89671;start=10

If one uses the Dexter Axle definition of GAWR (Gross Axle  Weight Rating), then the single-axled TM's are limited to 3500 lbs. Period!

TrailManor, however, do not include the weight of the AXLE and Wheel Assemblies (total of 200 lbs of *unsprung* weight). Therefore, being the manufacturer, and certifier of weights, I am inclined to believe them. I speak from first-hand, multiple direct comms with the TM engineer.

As I stated in the linked post, using 3500 lbs, as the limit, rather than 3700 lbs will always be erring on the safe side.

HTH -- Denny_A
Denny_A is offline   Reply With Quote