View Single Post
Old 10-19-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
AngliaUSA

Default Lurking and reading more than posting ....

Before taking on this 'add on hitch' job I checked this forum first and sadly nobody had attempted what I have done - one guy had added a rear tow hitch so now his tow vehicle is towing a TM and a MC trailer which is not legal here in California.

Most advice was NOT to do it as the rear bumper is rated at 400lbs max tongue weight but after examininglng the subframe and welds that hold the stock bumper to the main sub frame I really felt that with a properly supported rear hitch carrier the risk of catastrophic hitch failure - ie. the welds failing (breaking) and the whole thing falling off was minimal.

My biggest concern was and still is TM sway and fishtailing while under tow because I have added almost 400lbs to the rear. My plan B was to add an anti sway tow accessory to my front hitch to possibly rectify that scenario. So far unnecessary.

Only way to test it was to build it and try. At the very worst it wouldn't work and I'd have to remove the already removable bike carrier.

All this said - yes it works, no it doesn't fishtail at speeds upto 60mph and I don't notice the additional weight when towing. But caveat emptor - don't attempt this if you don't know how to weld properly. I wouldn't attempt to carry this kind of additional weight on the rear without it being properly supported. Is it recommend by the manufacturer ? NO. But can it be done ? YES.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8622.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	930.5 KB
ID:	20272  
AngliaUSA is offline   Reply With Quote