Thread: MPPT Upgrade?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrubjaysnest View Post
I'm surprised you are only getting to 80% SOC. We reach 100% after two to four hours of full sun with the morningstar 10 PWM. With full sun We have 10 amps into the batteries with two 80 watt panels. Now it could be the difference in batteries since we don't use golf cart batts; but two 12 volt 95 aH. They should charge at 8 to 9 amps, while the golf cart really need about 20 amps @ 14.8 to 15.5 volts for a 225 aH battery.
My stupid, $15 Chinese PWM falls down to "trickle charge" mode far too early - according to some extremely conservative, built-in timer. It also lacks ANY temperature measurement and compensation, and that's kinda important for calculating SOC properly. It can't do that, and so it "quits" too early.

So, I needed to make some kind of upgrade. I could have gotten a Morningstar 20 for about $80 (that's barely more than 1/3 the cost of the MPPT I bought) But for late season camping with less favorable sunlight (Sep-Oct), the extra "oomph!" from MPPT could be useful, because my all-electric Fridge (mostly daytime load) and CPAP (mostly nighttime load) consume "significant" power. Here's the one I bought: http://www.roguepowertech.com/photos...24A1PrevSM.png

Gory details:
* Supports 12v and 24v battery banks
* 100v max Voc PV limit
* Very low standby power consumption
* Auto fault resolution (faults will not require the user to restart the controller)
* Reverse battery and input short protection (without using relays or blocking diodes)
* User-upgradable firmware (with optional data converter)
* Fully automatic startup
* Extensive data logging and real-time data accessible with the PC connection and software utility
* Historical data log accessible via PC
* Modified MPP tracking algorithm with new triggers for sweep and user-adjustable options
* LED display for battery voltage - can be turned on or off from front panel at the press of a button
* LED indicators for charging mode and fault status
* Adjustable battery temperature compensation
* Adjustable current limiting
* User-adjustable calibration
* DIP switch for selecting startup charging profile - profile and setpoints can be changed at any time with a remote display or computer interface
* Smaller footprint, lighter weight, robust thermal design (no fan)
* Conformal coated circuit board
* 18-ga steel enclosure with black textured powder coat finish

It operates in 6 modes: MPPT "Bulk"; Voltage limited MPPT "Absorb"; PWM Mode when the battery circuit won't take all the current during "Absorb"; "Float" mode at 13.6V; and two kinds of "inactive standby": One happening during daytime (when the battery line stops taking current in "Float" mode, but the Panel Voltage is above 13.6V and capable of offering more charge); and another, ultra-low power "sleep" mode for night (when the panel voltage drops below minimum requirements to support any battery charging at all).

In 2015, Rogue stopped making this device - because cheaper devices have become available from China are available, and (unlike 2013 models) they work pretty well. Rogue can't build the 2024 and sell it at a profitable price.