View Single Post
Old 03-26-2022, 12:47 PM   #30
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Shane, Rick must be a chemist. Your answer sums up what Rick said in a Nutshe... I mean KitKat wrapper.

The reaction producing rust, most simply put, is:
4Fe + 3O2 -> 2Fe2O3

or more correctly, results from the balanced series of reactions:

4Fe + 3O2 + 6H2O ...-> 4Fe(OH)3
4Fe(OH)3 ................-> 4FeO(OH) + 4H2O
4FeO(OH) .............. -> 2Fe2O3 + 2H2O

If you look closely, the 4Fe(OH)3 and the 4FeO(OH) on each side "cancel" leaving you with the more simple equation equation I wrote above. But, the reaction cannot proceed without the presence of water because it is required in the intermediate steps.

As Rick stated, the metal with the LOWER electrical potential will give up its electrons easier. When Fe becomes Fe2O3 (rust), it has gone from Fe with no charge to Fe3+ because it lost 3 electrons overall. When iron (Fe) gives up its electrons in water according to the process above, that is rusting.

Just so you know, to understand the process completely, you need a grade 12 Chemistry course, and the electrochemistry unit is one of the hardest units in the course.

Tomorrow I will go over how to use the half-cell potentials to put together oxidation/reduction reactions in electrochemical cells, followed by electrolysis.
Thanks for listing the intermediate reactions more concisely and completely. Don't ever let me answer a question about the reactions involved in different types of Lithium batteries, I'd go completely crazy discussing the various types of "doped" anodes.
I'll admit to having a bit of knowledge about redox reactions. However, most of my own 'professional-level' chemistry work, these days, involves the analysis and assessment of biologically "fermented" consumable liquids...