Thread: Trailer bounce
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2018, 02:03 AM   #12
gonzo628
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhouston View Post
We tow our 3124KS with a 1/2 ton pickup. Originally we towed without a WDH as the tongue weight (trailer loaded with gear in the back of the pickup) was / is still under the 600 lb allowable for my truck. Trailer towed smoothly and the truck was level. About two years ago I succumbed to internet traffic and bought / installed a WDH. Since then our trailer has been experiencing significant bounce damage. An example is the trim on the oven literally comes unscrewed. I do not have the bars set too tight (aka they are level when attached).

So we are embarking on a long trip from Texas to Virginia next week, and I am considering abandoning the WDH. That beast alone weighs over 60 lbs including the bars. And there is always the risk of the odd bite when unhooking.

Does anyone else using a WDH see similar trailer bounce effects? Anyone tried the WDH and then left it home? Appreciate your views.

Larry
Hi Larry,

I had come to the forum with that very problem a while back. My trailer was getting beat up on every trip (usually less than 200mi one way). I thought my WDH bars (1k) were the issue and tried towing without. While the perceived outcome was that it was a touch less harsh, the reality was that my trailer was still getting beat up pretty badly. I took the trailer to the local tire place to have the wheels balanced (not normally needed on a trailer, but I had to rule it out (for my own sanity). The tire shop was unable to balance the tires and advised that my wheels were non-concentric. They explained that steel wheels sometimes get stamped outside of true dead center. their recommended fix was Alloy wheels which are less susceptible to the issue given their manufacturing process.

After our most recent trip had half of our interior hinges work themselves loose, and the oven door came off (among other things). We decided to pull the trigger on the alloy wheels and new tires. I took the trailer on a quick 20-mile jaunt and (it may be subjective) but I feel like the difference is night and day. It no longer feels like my trailer is shaking apart.

-Ronnie

-2006 3124 KB
-2016 Dodge Durango R/T
gonzo628 is offline   Reply With Quote