View Single Post
Old 11-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #36
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
Same here. The first couple feet requires the most upward lifting and always is the hardest part to me. You can sort of feel when the transition occurs it seems to coast on up while pulling outward from that point.

Agree too with tilting to assist with the front shell.
If you always pull perpendicular to the lift arm, that will give you the greatest mechanical advantage. However, if you're having difficulty lifting the shell at the beginning, I wonder if the torsion bars may need a slight adjustment.

I've searched all through different posts on adjusting the torsion bars. Once, I found an adjustment procedure some one had given to us that came from the factory. It was something like the following:
1) Raise the shell fully.
2) Adjust the torsion bar bolt so that it was just in contact with the torsion bar itself.
3) Turn the bolt ???? number of turns in or out.

I can no longer find this procedure, but it seemed the best method. Other methods of adjusting the shells involved just making small adjustments all around. This would be fine if all torsion bars are equally out of adjustment, and is useful if you are compensating for additional weight from a solar panel or other device. If your torsion bars have weakened over time, this procedure won't work well because each torsion bar may have weakened differently.

If some one remembers the full procedure that I have vaguely outlined, or can find the link for it, please let me know.

I do believe that if the torsion bars are adjusted properly, it should be very easy to lift both shells.

I have more issues with the slide. it seems easy to get the slide out of alignment. The farther out it comes, the more easily it can shift to one side of the other. Also, the structural integrity of the base (lower half) seems weaker because you don't have the lower wall at the end keeping the lower side wall from bowing out. I don't know if there is anything that can be added to provide more support to the lower side walls.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote