View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I swore I wasn't going to get into this again, but let's try it this way.

The Highlander Hybrid has a curb weight of 4762 pounds (about 500 pounds heavier than the non-hybrid - that's the batteries). Curb weight means the vehicle weight with all standard options and all fluids, but no cargo and no passengers. In other words, the weight of the vehicle itself, sitting at the curb, ready to go. Definition confirmed on wikipedia and others.

The Highlander Hybrid has a GCWR of 6220 pounds, as you pointed out. Confirmed at other sites.

The difference between the GCWR and the Curb Weight is 1458 pounds. No matter how much magic Toyota builds into its ratings (and I for one don't see any magic, and no one has every showed it to me), I'm not sure how you are going to fit a 3500 pound trailer in there.

What have I missed?
-------------------------------
I also note that if you get the optional factory-installed towing package, it seems to come with a 4-pin electrical connector. That says something about what Toyota expects you to do with this vehicle.

One other point. Like every other manufacturer, Toyota clearly says "Don't exceed ANY weight numbers." So focusing on GCWR and ignoring the rest is probably not a good idea.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote