Thread: Buying a Tundra
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Brulaz -

Ontario to Florida and back is a nice trip, doesn't involve any altitude. It is performance at high altitude that I am interested in, since we are planning to hit I-70 and the Eisenhower Tunnel again (steep upgrade at 11,000 feet) within the next month. As you know, the thin air at high altitude starves an engine, greatly reducing power and torque, because there is so much less air in each "gulp". I am hoping that the bi-turbo will cram enough air into the engine that it thinks it is operating at sea level. For some reason, Ford doesn't talk about this, and I guess the engine is new enough that there isn't much consumer experience.

If you, or anyone, have any experience with the Eco-Boost engine at high altitude, I would really like to hear it.

Bill
Well, we did cross the Appalachians from TN to NC.

I have heard anecdotes that it works well from folks in Colorado on the F150 forums. F150's are the largest selling vehicle in North America, so there's gotta be a lot of them in the Rockies.

(Editted Below: changed Expedition to Explorer)
A similar (same?) engine is coming out in the 2013 Explorer. But they're marketing it as a "sportier" engine, not a tow/hauler. I wonder if it comes with 6spd Tow/haul tranny? Though I think you don't care for the new Unibody Explorer anyway ... ?