View Single Post
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmopp View Post
As noted above there are many good choices for you to choose from. As you mentioned a Tacoma and I have one, I can at least speak to that. Towing a TM with our 6 spd Tacoma works extremely well. As we live at 5000 feet and travel the Donner summit many times we know how the truck performs pulling the TM. I usually can make the 'hill' in 5th gear sometimes 4th, depending on traffic. On flat lands I still haven't figured out if traveling in 5th (according to the manual) is better than leaving it in 6th, but both work. The automatic would work equally as good. With a tow rating of 6500 pounds (properly equipped) you can pull anything that TM makes with a large safety margin. We have a locking bed cover on the back so 'stuff' will not be visible. It has proven to be an excellent performer for both towing and general use. Note: This is the Tacoma with a 4.0 engine. Having owned a previous Tacoma with a 3.4 V6 (I think that was the size) I would not recommend, especially if you are planning on pulling any hills. Pulling a TM with that vehicle would be at its absolute limit in tow ability.

Mike Anderson
When we 1st bought our truck it had the locking bed cover. It gave us very little room to store gear in the bed. I actually have more room in the trunk of my Chrysler Concorde. Putting the shell on the back was great. (I sold the cover for $300 and bought the shell for $200). However, it did allow better security

One of the nice things about the shell is that we can run our Honda EU2000i generator in the back of the truck, with the side windows cracked, and you can't even hear it run. Of course, the best thing is that it tripled the cubic feet of storage space.