View Single Post
Old 01-08-2003, 12:20 AM   #8
Bruce

Default Re: Solar Panels on TM??

OK Gregg & Hal, I just found my old article re. my solar panel installation. You cannot search for it from the search button at the top of this page - you need to go to the Old TM Discussion Page by clicking on it once you pull up the TM Index. Then hit search there and type in "solar panel" and it will pull up a few matches.
I tried copying my article while I was there and I'll see if I can paste it here and save you the trouble (though you may want to see the other letters also).

I have mounted 2 80 watt solar panels on the front section roof of our TM. I also added a rack for 2 extra deep cycle batteries behind the propane bottles giving us 3 batteries total. The system works very well. The batteries never go below the 2nd light on the battery tester panel which I suppose is 80% charge or so. Batteries will last much longer if they are never deeply discharged. I had to adjust the torsion bars after installing the panels but the roof lifts up OK. I attached the right side (opposite of the antenna) of the panels to the edge of the roof right over the white rubber seal. There is an aluminum support under this section which allows you to drill and insert sheet metal screws. For the middle of the roof I used a piece of 3" X 22" flat aluminum stock for each 22" wide panel. I attached the panel legs to the stock with pop rivets and then glued the aluminum down to the roof with Liquid Nails. With this method there are no holes in the middle of the roof to worry about. I sealed the screws on the edge with elastomer sealant. I ran the cable down the right side with plastic cable guides screwed into the roof edge. I then ran it halfway across the bottom front portion of the upper shell and from there to the regulator mounted on the front of the tongue just behind the hitch. When the unit is opened the cable runs straight down to the regulator and when it is closed the cable nestles in between the propane bottles. We have boondocked for weeks at a time with this setup. Given our moderate electrical useage I think our system is a bit overpowered but it maintains full charge with only a few hours of sunlight a day. Better too much than too little. I purchased my setup from RV Solar Electric, (800 999-8520), in Scottsdale, Az. Their prices are good and their followup service is excellent. They publish a booklet on how to install solar panels an RV and how to size your system.

Guess it worked!
email me if you have any specific questions.

Bruce