View Single Post
Old 01-23-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brulaz View Post
Wondering if the new Explorer has a built-in brake controller? And how it works ...

There's some great opportunities to improve trailer braking with a built-in controller if manufacturers make the effort. They have vehicle speed and ABS info that can be factored into the electric signals sent to the trailer brakes.

For me, a sophisticated built-in brake controller would outweigh many other considerations, as trailer braking is the least safe part of the whole trailering experience.
What I have found when I have checked into Ford's factory installed controller, at least for the 2010 F150, is that controller either comes with or is optioned with what Ford calls the "Max Tow Package" - not the "Standard Tow Package" - and that means, I think, you would have to have the "Super Duty" truck. Maybe the 2011 Explorer would have such an option?

Secondly, the Ford factory installed controller, at least for the 2010 models, were "Tire Delayed" (pulse) controllers and I think that most posters here speak more favorably about "Proportional (such as Prodigy) controllers. I have read, however, the the factory installed version of of the pulse controller is smoother than after-market products due to tie-in's with ABS, etc..