View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 04:02 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Regarding tire pressure, what size and load rating are your tires? Load rating would likely be C, D, or E, marked as such on the tire sidewall, or perhaps as LRC, LRD, or LRE. I have LRE, and I run at 65 psi.

Regarding air compressors: I have tried numerous models that use the car's cigarette lighter outlet. The problem with these is that the cigarette lighter outlets were never designed to run 12v appliances, much less high current ones. The connection points are terrible, and while "they'll do" for phone chargers and the like, they really don't like high current, which is exactly what air compressors draw. That means either blown fuses, crappy/intermittent connections, and due to said crappy connections, heat that can damage (melt) either the plug or outlet.

Further, I also find the built quality of the ~$50 range of compressors to be terrible. Lots of plastic in places that carry high air pressure, which should be metal, and that's particularly an issue if you are inflating higher load rating tires, like LRE.

So, as much as it is convenient to plug in to the cigarette outlet at the rear of your TV to then inflate the TM tires, it's not a good choice, IMHO. And I've even used an adapter that converts the Bargman plug to a cigarette outlet. What you want is something with good alligator clips that attach directly to the TV battery posts, and a long hose(s) that will reach the TM tires.

I have had this one for 5 years, and use it about every other month.
https://www.amazon.com/40047-400P-RV.../dp/B004B68XGC

It's fast, very durable, has excellent build quality, and is no where near in the same ballpark as the $50 compressors. With the included coil hoses, I have no problem reaching the TM tires, even when the TM is not hitched and maybe 5 feet behind the TV.

When you're in the boonies camping, or on the side of a road needing to put on your spare only to find it's only at 30 psi, you need something you can rely on. It's different from most people, who just need to top off their tires occasionally while at their house.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote