View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 PM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
I have a very important question that I hope you can answer. The 2006 manual pages 399-400 talk about towing capacity which is 3500 lbs. and continue to go into cargo capacity within the toyota (crago capacity is total occupant load and gear). what is unclear in the manual is weather or not the weight inside the TV should be subtracted from the maximum towing capacity of 3500 lbs. the responsible thing to do is try and underload and stay well under the maximum. capacity. I wonder if that is possible here and if you can clarify the above that would be great. Much appreciated.
I posted the numbers someplace just recently...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlaupp View Post
You are saying that an actual GCWR exists in print for your vehicle? Could you please provide the missing numbers for the following and where you found each of the numbers?

GCWR 8700
GVWR
GAWR Front
GAWR Rear
Curb wt as delivered 4495
Tow rating 3500

Perhaps if the rest of us could see this data, it make it less magic and more real world.
Thx
Those were in the owners manual aside from the curb weight (see below). These numbers are from the sticker on the doorframe:

Cargo Capacity 1185
GVWR 5690
GAWR 2845 for both front and rear.

The curb wt was from a website, seems slightly off as 5690-1185=4505, minor difference of 20 lbs. All the other numbers are directly from the van or the owners manual.
If you do the math, the cargo capacity does not entirely take away from the tow capacity. 8700-3500 = 5200, and the van as delivered is ~4500, so there's ~700 lbs. of cargo allowed before chewing into the tow capacity.

As to my experience vs. M&M, perhaps we're driving in different conditions? On the flats of the midwest, not at elevation, I've had no issues with the Sienna towing, at all, for 2 full seasons (looking forward to the third). As always, YMMV, and this is the perfect example.

There is no question I am right up at the GCWR on the scales (at least, at the beginning of last summer) and I will be weighing in again this season. I know I'm safe on the GAWR for all three axles, and Toyota stresses that this is the more important consideration than the 3500 lb. tow rating. I need to see how close I am to that number as well, but I'm sure I'm in a close ballpark, as per last year's numbers.

In truth, this topic has been debated to death in the past (weights as absolute limits vs. guidelines) and I have no intention of reopening that can of worms. You need to ultimately do what you're comfortable with as a responsible adult

When I was researching this setup, I found others on the SiennaChat boards, one of whom had traveled extensively with an '06 and a TM 2720SL, and I based my decision on his good experiences, and I've had similar success. Others didn't, probably due to location/geography and other unforeseen factors.
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote