View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #3
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
We have a lot to talk about.

The Sienna has soft springs, with a lot of travel. This is to provide a softer car-like ride. ect
unfortunatly for us we can't afford buying another TV and besides we have already spent in the neighborhood of $1000 on the best hitch and brake controler and wireing. However, I will spend more money upgrading the vehicle as needed to make it as safe as possible. yes I have noticed that it has soft springs... can this be improved? can the springs be upgraded? seems like the air lift 1000 might do the trick here. any advice? Ouch on the brake controler as we spent $400 installing this one. will the BC you suggest be able to plug into the now new wiring of the old BC? this sucks big time but highly appreciate the input.

to add to my already long first post. I don't ever plan to boondock so carriying water will not be the case. I do have two propane tanks that I'd like to carry full (we shall see) and also one 12v battery. I plan on adding a very light amount of weight to the TM. we are looking at limiting this to 150-200 lbs. dumping at CG will be essential before we get back on the road

Quote:
Weight distribution: Most important will be getting your loads adjusted so that they make the most of your limited capacities so that you are using the best carrying capacity of all three of your axles (a scale is the way you get the real story):
I'm looking for an education in this reguard. when it comes to weeight distribution... whats the goal? obviously I understand that if each axle allows a sertain amount of weight on it we would want to spread out the weight to those axles that allow more. but is the goal to lighten the tounge weight? whats more important toungue weight or Gross weight. thanks

Quote:
On level pavement, measure the distance at the fenders hitched and unhitched. If the front rises when hitched, your WDH needs to be tightened more so that it doesn't. If you can't do that without 4 links left on the bars, the hitch head needs to be adjusted so that you can. If you don't have the instructions for installing/adjusting your hitch, you can probably download them.
just to be sure I'm measuring from the ground to the lowest part of the wheel well??? and I do this hitched and unhitches both for the front and rear tires? I don't have the WDH instruction manual. I will need to find that info somewhere. how do I find out what brand it is? supposidly the original owner purchased it through TM dealer.

The Sienna has soft springs, with a lot of travel. This is to provide a softer car-like ride. I believe towing a TrailManor with a Sienna is possible, but it is very important to know that it will challenge the rated capacities, and travelling as light as possible at moderate speeds needs to be an important part of your intentions (according to a table published by the Oregon Highway Department, you need 40% less stopping distance from 55 than 65) (your mileage may vary, and variables are what surprises are made of).[/QUOTE]

unfortunatly for us we can't afford buying another TV and besides we have already spent in the neighborhood of $1000 on the best hitch and brake controler and wireing. However, I will spend more money upgrading the vehicle as needed to make it as safe as possible. yes I have noticed that it has soft springs... can this be improved? can the springs be upgraded? seems like the air lift 1000 might do the trick here. any advice? Ouch on the brake controler as we spent $400 installing this one. will the BC you suggest be able to plug into the now new wiring of the old BC? this sucks big time but highly appreciate the input.

to add to my already long first post. I don't ever plan to boondock so carriying water will not be the case. I do have two propane tanks that I'd like to carry full (we shall see) and also one 12v battery. I plan on adding a very light amount of weight to the TM. we are looking at limiting this to 150-200 lbs. dumping at CG will be essential before we get back on the road

Quote:
Weight distribution: Most important will be getting your loads adjusted so that they make the most of your limited capacities so that you are using the best carrying capacity of all three of your axles (a scale is the way you get the real story, of course, but first let's be sure you're in the ballpark):
I'm looking for an education in this reguard. when it comes to weeight distribution... whats the goal? obviously I understand that if each axle allows a sertain amount of weight on it we would want to spread out the weight to those axles that allow more. but is the goal to lighten the tounge weight? whats more important toungue weight or Gross weight. thanks

Quote:
The 2720s have limited axle capacity, and there has been a lot of experience with flat tires posted here for them. Keep a very close eye on tire pressures.
I intend on doing so.

The Sienna has soft springs, with a lot of travel. This is to provide a softer car-like ride. I believe towing a TrailManor with a Sienna is possible, but it is very important to know that it will challenge the rated capacities, and travelling as light as possible at moderate speeds needs to be an important part of your intentions (according to a table published by the Oregon Highway Department, you need 40% less stopping distance from 55 than 65) (your mileage may vary, and variables are what surprises are made of).[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Weight distribution: Most important will be getting your loads adjusted so that they make the most of your limited capacities so that you are using the best carrying capacity of all three of your axles (a scale is the way you get the real story, of course, but first let's be sure you're in the ballpark):

Quote:
Brake Controller: Your brake controller progressively applies more braking force the longer you press the brake pedal. This means when you stomp on the brake in an emergency, the trailer brakes are still "ramping" while your trailer that weighs almost as much as your tow vehicle is doing it's best to shove you into whatever object you're braking to avoid. If you adjust it so that it feels right in ordinary driving, it will not have the brakes there for you when you need them most. For this reason, I believe these controllers are dangerous and should be illegal. I learned this in a very practical way when a large trailer once pushed me right into an intersection, scaring quite a few other people besides me in the process (fortunately, no bent metal was involved in this trailering lesson).

If you were towing a weekend Uhaul full of junk or if you had a very large and heavy tow vehicle, maybe you could get by. But, you will always be towing a 4000# trailer (if you travel light) and you urgently need a better controller. I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3.
ouch if if I need to purchase a new BC and have it installed. however, I will be looking into the reccomended BC to see what my options are at this point.

If you were towing a weekend Uhaul full of junk or if you had a very large and heavy tow vehicle, maybe you could get by. But, you will always be towing a 4000# trailer (if you travel light) and you urgently need a better controller. I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3.

Quote:
Tow vehicle: You need to be certain that you have the aspects Toyota puts in the factory tow package, if your Sienna does not have the factory tow package installed. A critical item is transmission cooling, but there are other possible elements, too. I would search this forum for "Sienna", and send messages to their owners to learn from their experience and get their advice.
My sienna did not come with a factory tow package so I intend on calling them today to see what the exact differance is. however, from what others say here on the forum, siennas built 2007 and earlier don't have any differance in engine parts and the only differance is a hitch and wiring. which in my case I purchased through u-haul.

This thread is my own experience on the scale, and the conversations that followed: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

And, Join the forum. You'll probably find us interesting for awhile yet.[/QUOTE]
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote