View Single Post
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcrazed View Post
I have been reading as many threads as I can here on the forum and I apologize now if I am posting a duplicate thread but feel that safety can not be compramised so I hope that the mods can understand my concern. My head is spinning after reading so many threads on the subject that at this oint I'm not sure what pertains to my situation or not.

ok so we recently purchased a used 2005 2720 TM. wifes 20 year dream finaly is reality. we couldn't be happier but wait... can we safely trail it or is it going to remain parked. Uhaul installed my hitch and break controler and told me I would have no problem. but, you know... anyway, towed the TM on a 7 hour ride and only noticed that the TV was very low to the ground. but got it home safe. So now I want to be sure I'm good to go and not just rely on the good people at u-haul

ok now for the basic info:

TV: 2006 toyota sienna mini van (gwvr = 5690 lbs and GWAR = frt. 2845lbs. and rr. 2845 lbs with towing capacity at 3500 lbs.) tires are michelin 215 65 r16. there will be 4 passengers in the car with some camping gear/clothes ect. (total weight approx. 750 lbs.)

hitch: TM came with a WDH similar to this one http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...-Hitch?mid=320 which connects to u-haul class III 2" ball hitch with the following ratings with WDH, since I'm using one, max. gross trailer weight = 5000 and max. tongue weight 500 (lbs)

Trailer: 2005 trailmanor model 2720 with 12 v battery and two propane tanks. I have not gotten the TM weighed yet but intend on getting the gross weight and the tongue weight once it is fully loaded for the trip.

break controler: journey hd #52740 electronic break control

The Toyota minivan has always been low to the ground but when TM is attached its at least 2-3" lower so I was thinking to get this installed for better drivability and safety... i'm thinking something like this model which is one reccomended for the TV http://www.assuredautomotiveproducts...9.qscstrfrnt06

I will also be taking some pictures when the trailer is hitched for further review and suggestion. for now I'm looking to get comments and suggestions if what I'm trying to tow is doable and safe. If not what can I do to improve it? getting another TV is not an option at this time however I am willing to put better breaks and upgrade suspention ect. I'm looking to get all ideas and suggestions for anyone willing to share it here. thanks in advance for all info.
We have a lot to talk about.

The Sienna has soft springs, with a lot of travel. This is to provide a softer car-like ride. A little stiffer might be good, but it isn't your highest priority. I believe towing a TrailManor with a Sienna is possible, but it is very important to know that it will challenge the rated capacities, and travelling as light as possible and at moderate speeds both need to be an important part of your intentions (according to a table published by the Oregon Highway Department, you need 40% less stopping distance from 55 than 65) (your mileage may vary, and variables are what surprises are made of).

Tow ratings are guidelines, and in setting them manufacturers make broad assumptions that are not always applicable to all cases. In 2006, Toyota should have put the Gross Combined Weight Rating in your owners' manual (GCWR is the total weight of the tow vehicle and the trailer combined), and some illustrations of how to figure your capacities. Read this section carefully. I believe you'll find that your GCWR is 9190#, and with a 4000# trailer, there's just barely room for your Sienna and a light load left over. It's not against the law to bend tow ratings, but operating there requires an abundance of caution. I would search this forum for "Sienna", and send messages to other Sienna owners to learn from their experience and get their advice.

The Toyota towing guide is full of good information and found here:
http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part1.pdf
http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part2.pdf
http://www.toyota.com/pdfs/towguide_Part3.pdf

Weight distribution: Most important will be getting your loads adjusted so that they make the most of your limited capacities which will allow you to use the best carrying capacity of all three of your axles (a scale is the way to get the real story, of course, but first let's be sure you're in the ballpark):

On level pavement, measure the distance at the fenders hitched and unhitched. If the front rises when hitched, your WDH needs to be tightened more so that it doesn't. If you can't do that without 4 links left on the bars, the hitch head needs to be adjusted so that you can. If you don't have the instructions for installing/adjusting your hitch, you can probably download them.

The 2720s have limited axle capacity, and there has been a lot of experience with flat tires posted here for the 14" tires on them. Keep a very close eye on tire pressures.

Brake Controller: Your brake controller progressively applies more braking force the longer you press the brake pedal. This means when you stomp on the brake in an emergency, the trailer brakes are still "ramping" while your trailer that weighs almost as much as your tow vehicle is doing it's best to shove you into whatever object you're braking to avoid. If you adjust it so that it feels right in ordinary driving, it will not have the brakes there for you when you need them most. For this reason, I believe the "progressive" controllers like yours are dangerous and should be illegal. I learned this in a very practical way when a large trailer once pushed me right into an intersection, scaring quite a few other people besides me in the process (fortunately, no bent metal was involved in this trailering lesson). If you were towing a weekend Uhaul full of junk or if you had a very large and heavy tow vehicle, maybe you could get by. But, you will always be towing a 4000# trailer (if you travel light) and you urgently need a better controller. I recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy or P3 as alternatives.

Tow vehicle: You need to be certain that you have the issues covered that Toyota addresses in the factory tow package, if your Sienna does not have the factory tow package installed. A critical item is transmission cooling, but there are other possible elements, too. Again, I would try to learn from the experience of other Sienna owners.

This thread is my own experience on the scale, and the conversations that followed: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10652

And, Join the forum. You'll probably find us interesting for awhile yet.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote