View Single Post
Old 01-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #31
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default 'Wildkat' worked OK on my smaller battery (alone) before customization.

When I pre-tested three components on the living room floor, I didn't suffer a BMS 'over-current shutoff' while charging the "small" battery at about 60A. IIRC, I had not yet customized the BMS maximum charge current to allow for that value. The default max-charging value within that BMS was 50A.

But it certainly depends on a couple of factors. How finicky and accurate is your particular BMS? And, do you have any other loads consuming power?

IIRC, I had the Inverter turned on at the same time. It was not running any active loads at the same time, but any power it consumed while "idle" was not going through the BMS to reach the battery cells. This may have been around 50-80 watts (5-6A).

My Daly "Smart" BMS units are inexpensive, and they are known to have issues with current measurement. BattleBorn BMS may be more accurate and more finicky, I've never stressed one of the BattleBorn batteries which I have installed (within RVs of other people).
- - -
Unless you make it a special point to activate "Boost" via the pendant, shortly before one of the batteries is about to enter "balancing mode", the Voltage of the WildKat will have fallen to 13.6V "float mode". Although I have seen my batteries accept high current at 13.3 Volts (on the terminals) with 14.4V charging Voltage applied via the pendant, I haven't seen them pulling a ton of current when approaching "balance voltage" with 13.6V supplied:

When one battery goes into "balancing mode", my other is typically accepting only about 15-22 Amps. I haven't abused them forcing "Boost Mode" when the battery Voltages begin to rise above 13.3V.

Photo for reference, show WildKat with Inverter (and an irrelevant MPPT controller), with the old LFP battery (whose cells I stole, in order to create the newer "small" battery with cell compression and the better BMS). I used roughly the same configuration, but forgot to take another picture, following the construction of the "small" battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new-TM-parts.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	20464